Friday, August 31, 2012

Hurlers Beware (#309)

Here's another of the 13 multi-player cards issued by Topps in the 1967 set. For some reason, 9 teams didn't get one of these cards (Red Sox, Yankees, Senators, Athletics, Angels, Cubs, Reds, Astros, Dodgers), while 2 teams (Orioles, Indians) got 2 such cards.

Johnny Callison and Richie Allen were the Phillies' top two sluggers in the mid-1960s.


The left-handed Callison played for the Phillies from 1960-69, and had big homerun totals from 1962-65. He also won the 1964 all-star game with a walk-off homer.

Right-handed Allen won the NL Rookie of the Year award in 1964, and was the team's top slugger for 6 seasons, before being traded to the Cardinals after the 1969 season. He had some monster years for the White Sox in the early 1970s, before returning to the Phillies for the '75 and '76 seasons.

The Phillies also had a multi-player card in the 1966 set, titled "Power Plus" and featuring Callison and Wes Covington. (no Allen?)

4 comments:

night owl said...

These cards from this set are so awesome (all the cards from this set are actually). If the high numbers weren't so crazy, I'd actually try to complete it.

Commishbob said...

Sometimes Topps strikes out, but sometimes they go deep. This card is a home run! I need to find one for my Callison pages.

Hackenbush said...

Ditto. I love the 1960's multi-player cards. I have a mini Callison collection going. I think building on that will be a goal for 2013. I think I have that one.

Jim from Downingtown said...

Night Owl,

Go for it! Six series worth of 1967 cards is better than none.

I began collecting baseball cards IN 1967, and by the end of that summer had all cards in the 1st 6 series (the "low numbers") except for the Cardinals Team card.

Then sometime in the 1980s, I realized "hey, they have card shows at the malls!", and over a few months, I was able to get all but 5 of the missing cards (most for about $1 each, IIRC).

Just last year I finally sprung for a Maury Wills card, so I'm down to 4 remaining (of which I can only realistically expect to get the Tommy John card).

True, they aren't available for $1 any more, but as I said, having someis better than none.